Name of Organization/Company: Tofas Turk Automobile Fab., Bursa, Turkey
Category: Achievement in New Employee Onboarding
The company has more than 7000+ employees both in plant and headquarter. HR manages approximately 50 new hires, 300 interns, 50 internal rotations and 20 promotions of administrative roles for white collar employees in a year. Overall, more than 400 employees experience an adaptation process for their new roles, departments or companies.
According to the researches and analysis that we had, 20% of undesired turnover happens in the first 45 days. In companies which has an effective “Onboarding” skills, the retention of newcomers is 50% higher. According to the researches that is made for Tofaş and Koç Group, the satisfaction level of new employees decreases from offer stage until the end of third month. Employees starts with higher motivation in offer stage but according to experiences that they live during first three months, their evaluations changes negatively. The lack of structured onboarding standards was the reason behind negative evaluations.
That is why “Preboarding, Onboarding and Crossboarding” programs were initiated by HR team to design a new digital onboarding journey for employees who have new role in the organization. These programs involve the recruiter, HR partner, buddy and hiring manager at the same digital platform with the different tasks assigned.
The vision is providing best-in-class new-hire experience while maintaining digitalization focus and delivering successful business results by well facilitated adaptation process.
Onboarding driven by technology brings an advantage in the sector. Not many companies have such technology and Tofas invests in this platform(Peoplise) whereby all elements of onboarding can be managed from a central hub.
There are 3 programs initiated for different needs of personas.
-Preboarding is the first orientation program that new hires experience digitally starting from the day they accept offer until the first working day. The program helps them to feel familiar with the team, culture and processes.
-Onboarding is a program that is designed to increase the integration of the newly hired employee to the company in the shortest time.
-Crossboarding program ensures that current employees who make a rotation to a new position are re-oriented properly.
Achievements of Pre-On-Cross/Boarding Programs
• New employees are feeling welcomed and valued
• New employee’s anxiety decreased, excitement increased
• First Day experience was painful for new employees, first day NPS is 97,5% now
• Responsibilites are well defined and allocated, hiring managers and buddys are align
• Digitalization balanced with human-touch
• Differentiated onboarding programs for different roles/personas
• The system is measurable and open for real time tracking
• Onboarding programs are integrated with training plans including gamification methods
• 100% implementation to all departments
• Compliant with pandemic conditions and remote working
• High goal achievements in KPI’s such as first year turnover, performance and engagement
1. Onboardees are happy with the experience they live.
107 new hires/interns experienced the program.
When you think about orientation practices how would you rate your overall satisfaction?
• First Day -> New Hires: %97,5 / Interns: 95%
• First Week -> New Hires: 91,4%
• First Month -> New Hires: 88% / Interns:90%
• Third Month -> New Hires: 90% / Interns: 100%
Considering the orientation experience, how would you recommend your company to your family and friends?
• First Day: 92,5%
• First Week: 82%
• First Month: 67%
• Third Month: 85%
2. Hiring managers are satisfied from new hire’s performance.
• I'm satisfied with the working harmony and cultural adaptation of my recruited employee. (4.8/5)
• I'm satisfied with the learning speed and performance of my recruited employee. (4.5/5)
3. First year turnover rate of Tofas decreased.
There was a significant improvement in first year turnover rate in 2020 which is mentioned above. As a result of more intense engagement with Tofas, employees are much less likely to quit.
4. First year performance and engagement rates are guaranteed.
In 2020, Tofaş achieved the best ratio in first-year performance scores of new employees. It was 92% in 2018, 95% in 2019, 100% in 2020. New hires feel ownership for their goals more than ever.
Another achievement was increasing 0-1 year experienced employees’ engagement scores. Engaged employees’ rate increased from 52%(2019) to 83%(2020) regarding the first year experience.
Supporting Video: https://vo-general.s3.amazonaws.com/a1ab4161-9c30-4e28-88fc-d6ad384e3fe2/5c3718b1-6969-471e-b3da-b6f58c6e0fbe?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ4PRWO26HAX3IOCA&Expires=1720305570&response-content-disposition=inline%3B%20filename%3D%22_cret%20Politikas_.mp4%22&response-content-type=video%2Fmp4&Signature=M3FeZ%2FUrAvycEJPJXMY1pkepHeA%3D
Preboarding, Onboarding and Crossboarding Programs.pdf: https://vo-general.s3.amazonaws.com/a1ab4161-9c30-4e28-88fc-d6ad384e3fe2/026bbbd3-2762-489d-ab7a-d017c5e77d3a?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ4PRWO26HAX3IOCA&Expires=1720305570&response-content-disposition=inline%3B%20filename%3D%22B24-Preboarding-Onboarding-Crossboarding%20Programs-TOFAS.pdf%22&response-content-type=application%2Fpdf&Signature=n7OlQgtoY1feweCDlI4bviiAlJk%3D