Name of Organization/Company: MGM China, Macau SAR, China
Category: Best Learning & Development Strategy
With 11,000 employees, we operate MGM MACAU, the award-winning premium integrated resort and MGM COTAI, a contemporary luxury integrated resort, which opened in early 2018.
With a commitment to cultivating talent, MGM’s excellence in talent development and HR services have been greatly recognized both regionally and globally. Since 2007, MGM has achieved over 100 HR awards, and over 40 awards in the field of learning and development alone. These accolades include two times BEST Awards from the Association of Talent Development, first company in Macau to win the Grand Award in Human Capital Development from Pacific Asia Travel Association, Grand Winner in HR Innovation Awards in Asia Pacific, and an array of distinction awards honored by organizations from Asia Pacific, Greater China and other regions.
In 2021, Forbes Travel Guide has named MGM MACAU a Five-Star Hotel for the sixth consecutive year, becoming one of the only 283 hotels in the world entitled the highest honor in the hotel industry. Tria spas at both MGM MACAU and MGM COTAI also achieved Five-Star recognition for the second year in a row, further amplifying MGM’s reputation as a leader in the hospitality industry, offering guests the finest service and resort amenities.
The COVID-19 situation transformed the business landscape from early 2020. One of the critical areas for us is to focus on building long term organizational capabilities along with transformation effort to create strong learning culture that accelerated the digitalization of learning, personal ownership of growth and new ways to support our external communities. This is to collaborate with local government towards the societal goal of maintaining stability and sustainability for both corporates and talent pipeline in the community.
At MGM, in terms of Learning and Development, we seize the opportunities to reevaluate learning formats, programs, and partnership with counterparts in the communities. Through our MGM Academy and eAcademy, we continued to offer best-in-class learning resources during COVID-19, as well as embarked a series of initiatives in 2020 to tackle the unprecedented challenges imposed in our learning and business environment.
• Building organizational capacities with 2,000 classroom training programs, 6,500 eLearning courses and 10 career development programs
• Establishing partnerships with 20+ learning partners to introduce programs such as back-to-school program, benefiting 2,000+ employees
• Fostering learning culture with 30+ major learning events, including education trips, seminars and forums, guest speaker sharing sessions, etc.; benefiting 4,000+ employees
• Nurturing strong work ethics and engagement with “Craftsmanship Spirit” Training Program
• Developing community outreach eLearning programs to reinvigorate 10,000+ local tourism industry professionals, including the sign language eLearning program in town
• Formulating structured internship and mentorship scheme
• Pioneering signature “Learning Month” to introduce month-long learning agenda
During the 2-week lockdown and work-from-home for subsequent months, we launched a new virtual classroom platform in record time and kept our staff engaged with remote learning, successfully digitalizing learning through the transformation of 60% traditional classroom training to virtual format and the increase of eLearning resources. The number of active users jumped from 60% in 2019 to 98% in 2020, highest in the local market. We also leveraged business downtime to develop new curriculum and add 30% extra courses for employees.
Below summarizes other highlights of the achievements in other area.
• Best Yearly Training Hours Per Pax - managed to achieve average training hours of 44 hours per employee, exceeding the industry average of 20 hours during the pandemic time
• Continued to offer top-notch Career Development - 78 participants graduated from our signature “PRIDE Career Development Program”, highest number since 2007.
• Supported skills upgrading and employment training program for 120 industry professionals affected by the pandemic
• Jointly launched the exclusive “Youth Education Series” with City University of Macau
• Cultivated appreciation of Chinese culture through “Junior Lion Dance Training Program”
• Enhanced awareness in responsible gaming and other topics for all employees
• Supported Vocational Training – joined hands with local charity group to provide F&B training to mental health rehabilitants
• Facilitated local Arts & culture revival with 20+ art workshops and activities
• Inspired 60+ culinary students with celebrity chef sharing sessions
• Nurtured youth development – launch MGM Leo’s T-shirt Design Contest
The following links provide evidence of our learning achievement of various initiatives, including the introduction of virtual classroom, Craftsmanship programs, learning awards, Professional Workforce Development Series, Culinary Diploma Program, outreach eLearning program, etc.