Name of Organization/Company: Kineo, Brighton, West Sussex, United Kingdom
Category: Skills Training
July-2020: ING and Kineo launched PACE Academy – an innovative blended learning experience.
ING, a Dutch financial institution, has 57,000 employees in 40+ countries.
In 2015, faced with an acceleration in banking technological innovation and the emergence of fintechs, ING embarked on a journey of change, shifting from a traditional to agile model. As part of this, and to embed its new customer-centric strategy, ING developed a structured innovation process – PACE.
However, adoption of PACE was hampered by hard-to-scale classroom training.
In early-2020, the ING Innovation team engaged Kineo to develop a learning solution to overcome the multiple issues identified.
Working collaboratively, they designed and launched a blended learning experience, providing a guided learning journey, access to microlearning, practical resources and canvases, the opportunity to put theory into practice in a group/collaborative setting via virtual classrooms, and opportunities to apply lessons learnt onto real workplace problems.
FEATURES AND FUNCTIONS
• FOUR INTRODUCTORY AWARENESS VIDEOS.
• PACE COMMUNITY: Activating and inspiring learners with success stories and visibility of colleagues’ achievements globally.
• INDIVIDUAL, TARGETED LEARNING PATHS: A full suite of learning resources, mapped to the PACE process, include single-page microlearns covering core concepts, practical examples, case-studies, illustrated examples and access to tools/canvases to use in the workplace. These offer targeted learning paths to individuals, and ‘just-in-time’ support.
• OPPORTUNITIES TO PRACTICE IN A VIRTUAL CLASSROOM: Helping to put theory into practice in group settings – working in project groups – and to apply learning into fiction-based case-studies.
• CHANCES TO REFLECT AND SHARE: A virtual café provides participants with a forum to check-in with facilitators, ask questions or discuss their progression/application of the learning. Wrapped around the entire solution is the PACE community, enabling people to interact, share and connect with PACE coaches.
ENSURING EFFECTIVE TRANSFER OF LEARNING
To ensure success here, the partners:
• Identified and trained 30 CX champions to undertake the learning at a more advanced/extensive level, meaning learners could tap into their knowledge, expertise and insight.
• Offered trained leadership – helping participants to support their team, work in a more customer-centric way and understand their responsibility in PACE’s success.
“It can’t be understated how important it was… Without this we cannot compete successfully in such a rapidly changing environment.”Chief Innovation Officer, ING.
EFFECTIVENESS: LEARNER IMPACT
SCALE AND REACH: From 483 face-to-face learners globally in 2019, the new PACE Academy blended learning solution has, in the first six months of 2021 alone, reached 300 participants – all of whom have completed the learning. There are also 1,900 unique learners on the user base.
INCREASED ENGAGEMENT: From July-2020 (launch) to June-2021, there were an average of 51 new members/month, 606 within the year, and monthly unique users have increased significantly from 125 in 2020 to 376 in 2021.
LEARNING IMPACT: A 2021 survey of learners (those who have completed +7 microlearns) revealed that 70% ‘have already applied some learnings of PACE Academy in their work’.
EFFECTIVENESS: BUSINESS IMPACT
The new blended learning solution overcomes all the issues identified (and more!):
• RELEVANCE: More learning, more experiments, more customer journeys – with options to suit every learner.
• CONTENT: In-house expertise was used to create inspiring examples, relevant to ING people.
• APPLICATION OF LEARNING: ‘Just-in-time’ learning: the design provides ‘snackable’ learning and access to content such as ‘customer journey mapping’, just when the learner needs it.
• LOGISTICS: People can now delve in and out of the learning as and when, as opposed to freeing up five full days.
“The mission critical need for creating an innovation-enabled workforce has been met by this creative and engaging program”