Name of Organization/Company: Aboitiz Group / Aboitiz Equity Ventures, Taguig City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Category: Employer of the Year – Conglomerates
The Aboitiz Group is one of the largest and most respected business groups in the Philippines, with major investments in power, banking, food, infrastructure, and real estate. Its longevity and success are a testament to its solid foundation and a continuing legacy of excellence, only nurtured and strengthened over the past century. Aboitiz remains committed to best practices and good corporate governance, for which it is recognized as among the best not only in the Philippines but also in the ASEAN region.
Aboitiz considers Building Human Capital as one of our four strategic pillars. This means being able to support the execution of the Group’s strategies through people. We invest in resources and implement relevant programs that are focused on attracting, optimizing, and retaining the right talent. We also deliver an engaging talent experience through a seamless end-to-end HR service delivery.
At the foundation of everything that we do, we create an environment and build a culture centered on our core values of integrity, teamwork, innovation, and responsibility.
In 2020, the Aboitiz Group celebrated the 100th anniversary of the incorporation of its parent company, Aboitiz & Company, Inc. This historic milestone is a confirmation of its unwavering commitment to the highest standards of corporate governance for over five generations.
The following are our 2020 highlights:
- increased awareness of our EVP by communicating EVP stories on various social media platforms
- held virtual engagement activities with academic institutions such as AIM and universities
- pivoted to digital learning to make sure that there is no disruption in the learning and development of team members
- started subscription to LinkedIn Learning with pilot users at the beginning of 2020
- launched SuperDuperCon, a town hall meeting for the CEO to personally listen to the questions of team members, give answers, and provide clarity on matters that are unclear yet important to them
- launched the onboarding activity called Welcome A-Board, where the CEO personally welcomed new hires
- UpClose sessions with the CEO were organized to give employees a venue to get to know him, ask questions, learn more about values and culture, and ask about company performance and direction
- health-related learning sessions and online fitness activities such as exercise classes and yoga
- The C-Focused Fridays program - a specific, uniform time block during the week to enhance employee experience and support well-being and development
- developed the Flexible Benefits (Flexben) program, which allows team members to choose benefits according to their specific needs
c. Explain why the achievements you have highlighted are unique or significant. If possible compare the achievements to the performance of other players in your industry and/or to the organization's past performance (up to 250 words). Required
The highlighted initiatives induced a high level of interaction and engagement, cultivated and sustained even further on a Group-wide level despite with the sudden shift to virtual and the challenges in 2020.
By the end of the year, the 17 SuperDuperCon townhall episodes lodged a combined total of 47,342 views. UpClose sessions garnered 163 participants, and the Welcome Aboard initiative accommodated 83 new hires.
Employee experience evaluation in the company received an overall score of 4.6 out of 5. Engagement Survey score in 2020 also increased compared to past years' scores, with an overall satisfaction score of 4.21 out of 5.
- Employer Branding numbers increased in terms of reach, talent database, and talent community.
- LinkedIn Subscription started with 100 pilot users at the beginning of 2020. By June, subscribers have tripled. The Group recorded a total of 3,780 learning hours, which is beyond the 75th percentile benchmark among the companies using the same platform in the Philippines. At the end of 2020, 1,700+ licenses are ready to be activated.
- The Aboitiz Mentoring Partnership Program recorded a Mentor-Mentee partnership increase by 19%.
The 2020 Aboitiz Way Group Team Awards garnered a total of 43 nominations from across all the units in the group, all exemplifying the time-tested Aboitiz values. More than the award and recognition given to the chosen winners, it shows the impact that the organization has created throughout the year, not only to the team members but also to the communities that we serve.
As early as December 2019, the Aboitiz Group already started to assess COVID's potential impacts and risks to the welfare of 40,000 team members located across 11 countries. In February 2020, a COVID-19 Technical Working Group was formed to monitor how the pandemic is progressing and to cascade information on proper precautionary measures.
A COVID-19 microsite was established to ensure that Aboitiz employees have a single source of all relevant content and resources. Other microsites housing information and resources on health and wellness, company protocol updates, employee engagement, and other pertinent information were also built.
Team members who could work from home were mandated to work from home. Our early investments in future-proofing Aboitiz have given us a huge advantage in seamlessly transitioning to a digital workforce and ensuring all the proper channels and support are in place.
To ensure the financial security of team members, salaries and bonuses were released early.
The Group provided ample protective resources and basic needs such as testing (rapid tests, RT-PCR), food, clothing, and temporary shelter, especially to those who had to work onsite. Accessible health services are also made available to all our facilities nationwide.
Financial assistance for team members totaled PhP900 million. The number of direct and Group beneficiaries totaled 313,258.
The Group committed to “A Dose of Hope” (a tripartite agreement among the private sector, the Philippine government, and British drugmaker AstraZeneca in support of the National Immunization Program) to cover the inoculation of more than 30,000 regular employees and subcontractors