Company: Wolters Kluwer's ELM Solutions
Category: Employer of the Year - Computer Software - More Than 250 Employees
Briefly describe the nominated organization: its history and past performance.
Wolters Kluwer’s ELM Solutions is the market-leading global provider of enterprise legal spend and matter management, contract lifecycle management and legal analytics solutions. We provide a comprehensive suite of tools that address the growing needs of corporate legal operations departments to increase operational efficiency and reduce costs. Corporate legal and insurance claims departments trust our innovative technology and end-to-end customer experience to drive world-class business outcomes.
As legal e-billing pioneers, over more than two decades we've driven the progress of the legal technology market as our clients’ needs evolved. Our constant focus has been innovation in product development to provide the best customer experience. Today, we are an award-winning market leader with a global presence and proven track record of delivering on customer needs and expectations over the long term. Our employees reside in Chennai, India; Houston, Texas; Hartford, Connecticut; London, United Kingdom; and remote and work-at-home locations around the world.
Our deep domain experience and expertise, advanced technology platform, and the resources of Wolters Kluwer – our parent organization and a market-leading global information services company – empower our customers to make better business decisions, mitigate risk more effectively, work more collaboratively, and deliver greater value to their clients.
Outline the organization's employee-relations achievements since the beginning of 2019 that you wish to bring to the judges' attention.
ELM Solutions’ employee relations highlights include:
- An employee-centered approach that earned a world-class 2019 employee engagement score.
- Annual surveys that give employees the opportunity to share feedback with leaders related to their engagement and the employee experience.
- Monthly town hall meetings that rotate between all employees, site-based, and functional area discussions, ensuring that employees are constantly updated on company-wide matters, concerns related to their particular office, and department-level news. This model was a direct response to employee feedback.
- A recognition program that provides the opportunity for employees to recognize their colleagues with acknowledgements during Town Hall meetings and for managers to recognize and reward employees with a range of monetary awards.
- The My Enterprise Learning platform, where employees can access a wide range of professional training and certification programs that help them progress toward their career goals.
- Code Jams, which are single day innovation events where software engineers form small teams and quickly develop a solution for an existing customer problem or generate new solution ideas to drive new business opportunities. A panel of judges chooses winners based on the ideation, problem solving and impact of each solution.
Explain why the achievements you have highlighted are unique or significant. If possible compare the achievements to the performance of other players in your industry and/or to the organization's past performance.
Our best-in-class engagement score is driven in part by our commitment to enhance the employee experience by contributing to our local communities. For example, in 2019 ELM Solutions partnered with Sevalaya, a non-governmental organization that serves the rural poor, to build a pharmacy near Chennai, India, where we have approximately 300 employees. Sevalaya also runs an orphanage, free school, free medical center, library, and residential facility for senior citizens.
The Chennai office also hosts monthly technical meetups where employees share their expertise with, and learn from, local technical professionals and university students, discussing ideas and trends in software development. Within one year, this community has grown to include 2,750 people.
ELM Solutions also partners annually with Habitat for Humanity, a nonprofit providing affordable housing to needy families. Houston- and Hartford-based employees can spend a workday participating with colleagues in a designated Habitat project each year and remote employees can join in with their local Habitat affiliate, as well.
In addition, we work with Rise Against Hunger to host annual in-office meal packaging events. Employees form assembly lines, weighing rice and soy, and combining them into packages that are sent to parts of the world where they are most needed. In 2019, across all locations, employees packaged more than 40,000 meals in one day. The Houston office also partnered with local non-profit Star of Hope to provide school supplies and backpacks for families struggling financially.