Company: Playa Hotels & Resorts N.V., Sunrise, FL USA
Nomination Category: Employer of the Year -Hospitality & Leisure
Employer of the Year Essay:
In little more than a decade Playa Hotels & Resorts N.V. has become a leading owner, operator and developer of all-inclusive resorts in Mexican and Caribbean prime beachfront locations.
The company is privileged to have over 12,000 members in the Playa family and is honored to represent iconic global brands including Hyatt and Hilton, as well as relatively new brands Panama Jack Resorts, Jewel Resorts and Sanctuary.
Recently Playa became the only publicly traded company (NASDAQ: PLYA) dedicated to the all-inclusive space and has become the ‘most awarded” in the sector by Travel Weekly and others – first in 2018, and again in 2019. Employee votes were key in a number of these awards.
By design, the company has built an organizational structure to foster sustained growth, yet has maintained one of the lowest employee turnover rates in the hospitality industry:
· Playa believes that human capital is its greatest asset, evidenced by its founding creed: ‘We take care and motivate our employees and in turn they take care of our guests with love.” The stated core values of the company are:
Humility– Integrity – Respect -Loyalty – Responsibility – Love
· Playa is well known for its trademark ‘Evolution of All-Inclusive’ by consumers and the travel trade. What is less well known is that this also refers to the innovative, culturally driven HR practices that are in place at the company.
· Playa’s rubric for success has been to mandate another “E” to the ESG of environment, social & governance, by adding ‘Employees’ first.
· Playa does not aspire to be a good place to work, rather, Playa is a place where people are empowered with the technology, resources and training to do what they love.
· Playa is committed to having a staff to guest ratio of minimum 2 to 1 to enable team members to provide their best level of service.
· Playa is proud to not just embrace diversity in ethnicity, gender & age, but to have expanded -specifically in recruitment, to seek individuals with unique life experiences outside of traditional education/hospitality related experience.
Playa currently operates in the top markets for all-inclusive resorts and plans to bring its game changing, employee centric business model to other areas including Asia-Pacific and beyond. All made possible by focusing our effort & investment in our people and what they can accomplish.
· On Glassdoor, employees have rated Playa 4.4 out of 5 overall – 100% approve of the CEO and 89% would recommend Playa to a friend.
· For the 3rd year, Playa was awarded Top Places to Work by the Sun Sentinel.
· Awarded Top Hotel Chain in Mexico.
· Achieved “Top 25 Hotel Brand Status in the World” – Hyatt Ziva by Travel + Leisure
Employer of the Year Summary:
· Virtually 100% of Playa team members in each country, including senior leadership, are sourced locally. Promotion priority is given to existing employees.
· In addition to onboarding orientation, more than 50 hours + of advancement training is provided yearly to every employee.
· Company-wide program that formalizes & communicates Playa’s core values.
· Playa Pulse, a multi-language publication was introduced digitally and in print to serve employees and their families without internet access.
· The company conducts and publishes annual 360-degree employee surveys.
· Implemented Cost-Effective Procurement of New Employee Benefits:
- Health & Wellness Rewards
- Financial, Legal & Personal Counseling Services
- ‘Pets R Family 2’
- Tuition and Professional Accreditation Reimbursement
- Free Playa Vacation Nights
- Family & Friends Discount
- Paid Volunteer Days, Referral Bonus
- Casual Dress Days
- Vacation Cash Back
- Playa Subsidized Health, Dental and 401K
- New ‘open floor’ office design to foster collaboration
- Playa Proud – Resort Venues Named by Employees
- Rising Stars Award Caribbean Hotel Association