Company: Kind LLC, New York, NY USA
Nomination Category: People-Focused CEO of the Year
KIND was founded in 2004 by social entrepreneur, Daniel Lubetzky, the Mexican-American son of a Holocaust survivor. KIND is more than a name, it is a movement. "Our mission is do the kind thing for your body, for your taste buds and for your world," Lubetzky
Daniel is inspired by the kindness of his father, who survived the holocaust by the small acts of kindness shown to him. His heritage inspired a growing snack empire built on positivity, compassion and kindness.
Before he started KIND, Lubetzky founded PeaceWorks, an organization that helps facilitate “peace through enterprise” by forging cooperative relationships between warring peoples; its line of products included a pesto and tapenade made with vegetables from Palestine at a production plant in Israel. With PeaceWorks, Daniel learned the food business and developed the principle of “not only for profit”.
What began as a line of premium Fruit & Nut bars sparked the creation of an entirely new healthier snacking category. Today, KIND has a family of 60+ snacks that offer solutions for a variety of different occasions.
KIND was one of the first popular food snacks to eschew artificial flavors and preservatives, a trend that larger food companies are now embracing. In 2016, KIND published the added sugar content of the 60+ snacks, two years in advance of the deadline set by the US FDA.
Lubetzky fosters a team spirit and with a family feeling and culture, and company policies are geared on that premise. He does not use the term “employees”, instead all are team members. “The way we treat our team, the policies for team evaluation, and the policies for dealing with things that are not working out are all premised on very earnest, open, transparent communication and on the best intentions to do right by the company and to think bigger for the community and not just about ourselves.” Lubetsky
Lubetzky is very particular about hiring because every member of the team will literally become a co-owner and shareholder who serves as ambassador of the brand. He looks for introspective people who have the ability to analyze themselves, to be self-critical, and to be comfortable receiving feedback. “It is very important to us that the people we hire are hungry and have a commitment to excellence and hard work, but that everything they do is done with kind values”.
KIND offers its 600+ Team Members:
-competitive salaries, a bonus program and 401K matching with immediate vesting
-flexible Paid Time Off and Paid Family Leave.
-An opportunity to own a piece of KIND through their equity program.
-development support through regular coaching, training, & tuition reimbursements
-a Hardship Fund that supports team members and their families in times of need
In the past year:
· Daniel founded an independent organization called “Feed the Truth”, which seeks to improve public health by making truth and transparency the foremost values in today’s food system.
· KIND also launched the KIND Nutrition Collective, a community of registered dieticians and nutrition professional inspiring healthy eating that is kinder to our bodies.
· KIND launched the KIND Foundation, “We’re hopeful that, through The KIND Foundation, we’ll be able to scale our impact and ultimately make kindness more top of mind.”Each month, they award one socially-impactful cause with a $10,000 grant. In 2017, it is helping mobilize young people to build kinder, more inclusive communities
-KIND has now become a household name, sold in more than 150,000 retail locations, from Starbucks to gas stations, and generates retail sales of over a $1 billion.
Daniel is also the author of The New York Times Best Seller, Do the KIND Thing.
Daniel Lubetzky is a People Focused CEO, not just for his team, but for the world!
· KIND was founded in 2004 by social entrepreneur, Daniel Lubetzky
· "Our mission is do the kind thing for your body, for your taste buds and for your world,"
· Today, KIND has a family of 60+ snacks that offer solutions for a variety of different occasions.
· Lubetzky fosters a team spirit and with a family feeling and culture, and company policies are geared on that premise
· -competitive salaries, a bonus program and 401K matching with immediate vesting
· -flexible Paid Time Off and Paid Family Leave.
· -An opportunity to own a piece of KIND through their equity program.
· -development support through regular coaching, training, & tuition reimbursements
· -a Hardship Fund that supports team members and their families in times of need
· Daniel Lubetzky is a People Focused CEO, not just for his company, spreading the KIND Movement throughout the world!
KIND snacks: A Great Place to Work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqyPWEU3LHk