Company: Acuity Insurance, Sheboygan, WI USA
Nomination Category: Employer of the Year - Insurance
Employer of the Year Essay
Acuity Insurance provides property and casualty insurance products for consumers and businesses in the United States and is consistently recognized for being a great employer.
In the past year, the company undertook a major expansion of their Headquarters, adding fun and informal spaces for employees to connect, a games room, a 45 foot climbing wall, and a 2,000 seat theater.
One highlight of the expansion is a 65 foot Ferris wheel called the charity wheel. Known for hosting charitable events at their headquarters, Acuity once rented a Ferris wheel for a neonatal intensive care unit fundraiser they hosted and liked it so much they bought their own. The wheel serves as a focal point for employees and the community as a reminder of the company’s lighthearted culture and commitment to their community.
Acuity has been a supporting member of the local community since the beginning. First hosting the spelling bee, they now host 4-H events, the Junior Achievement Business Challenge, chess tournaments, and a number of local charity events, often suggested by staff. They even open the campus for police training exercises. By regularly inviting and supporting the community, Acuity has built a reputation in the community which has benefitted recruitment efforts for several years.
People want to work at Acuity.
Acuity supports a culture founded on open communication:
· Each month, 20-30 employees are recognized in the Magic Happens program. Feedback is shared over a voicemail message that all employees receive via email.
· Every 6 weeks, employees are invited to have lunch with an Acuity officer to provide feedback or suggestions or just get to know one another better.
· Every even-numbered Thursday is a Social Hour or Family Night.
· Acuity Town halls, held four times per year, gather all employees in the company’s 2,000 seat theatre where leaders discuss the outlook of the company and other topics.
· Acuity’s “5-Year Club” events are not only fun, but also a great way for newer employees to network with like-minded people from all areas of the business.
A strong supporter of employee wellness, there are plenty of ways to stay well at Acuity:
· Open to employees 24/7 is an on-site 27,000-square-foot fitness facility that offers fitness classes at no cost to employees.
· The A-Team club offers employees the chance to participate in local races or athletic events in the area.
· Acuity’s “Connections” program was designed to provide employees the opportunity to connect with one another. Employees have formed groups such as Soccer Tuesdays, Gamer’s Unite, Angels & Outlaws Motorcycle Group, Golf Club, and Broadway Bound.
· The Acuity campus provides a fully stocked pond where employees and their families can fish at any time and take home their catch.
Acuity has hired about 700 new people in the past five years, many of them new college graduates. Attracting and retaining talent is a challenge and Acuity offers attractive perks and benefits:
· Unlimited sick days.
· Unlimited Tuition Reimbursement.
· A Scholarship Program for employees’ children
· Generous health, dental and retirement benefits.
Acuity aligns their hiring strategies with their core values of developing and empowering people, acting with integrity, having fun, driving excellence, innovating, working as a team, having open communication, and respecting and trusting others. Not all candidates will have the requisite skills so Acuity focuses on finding candidates with the right “cultural fit” and the potential to become the future leaders of the company. The company invests heavily and prides itself on its ability to train new staff from the ground up to become experts in the industry.
Acuity’s strong workplace has contributed to a historical low voluntary staff turnover average of 2%, which has helped build stronger relationships with customers and independent agents, and helps Acuity consistently outpace their competitors.
Employer of the Year Summary
-In the past year, the company undertook a major expansion of their Headquarters with informal spaces for employees to connect, a games room, a 45 foot climbing wall, and a 2000 seat theater.
-Acuity supports a culture founded on open communication
-A strong supporter of employee wellness, there are plenty of ways to stay well at Acuity
-Attracting and retaining talent is a challenge and Acuity offers attractive perks and benefits
-Acuity has built a reputation in the community which has benefitted recruitment efforts for several years.
-Acuity’s strong workplace has contributed to low staff turnover of 2%, which has helped build stronger relationships with customers and independent agents, and helps Acuity consistently outpace their competitors.
-People want to work at Acuity